Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kitchen Reno Budget

My soon-to-be new home has some amazing elements to it - high ceilings, exposed ductwork, floor to ceiling windows - but it definitely has some downsides as well. 

My top 4 dislikes about the condo are:
1) Floors - very light, cheap looking laminate
2) Backsplash - or lackthereof
3) Kitchen Counter - old looking, blue colour
4) Shower - it's not a tub!

The floors will be redone the day after I close.  Thanks to my Mom for purchasing the floors and my Dad for installing them.

The kitchen will be next on my to-do list.  According to Rona, the cost of a kitchen renovation should be calculated as a ratio of the value of your house. Generally, between 6% and 10% of your house's declared value represents a reasonable cost for the purchase and installation of new kitchen cabinets.  In my case the kitchen reno budget will be significantly less.  I'm budgeting for $800, with an extra $200 as a just in case.

I don't have much work to do, but I am looking to replace the countertop and add a backsplash.  The countertop looks straightforward - it will run along only one wall, so no corners.  The backsplash will run along 2 walls.  My plan is to take measurements of both the counter and the backsplash area before closing and visit the Toronto Home Show around the same time to shop around suppliers. 


Have you been able to stick to home renovation budgets?

3 comments:

  1. So how are the new digs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a friend or family member - like your dad - install the flooring saves you tons of money. In renovations, about half the cost is the materials and half the cost is the labor. If you can cut the labor costs, you can either save the difference or buy twice-as-nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete