Friday, June 8, 2012

Four years ago this week I graduated from my Masters program and began working full-time.  

My immediate financial future looked pretty rocky.  I had no assets and I owed $33,000 on my student line of credit (I was not able to apply for OSAP or government funding).  I managed to land my dream job right out of school and made a pretty penny at that. 

Over the past four years my average income has been approximately $53,000 (plus benefits + RRSP matching).  

Fast forward four years later and my once -$33,000 net worth is now +$30,000.  Sometimes when I look at my positive net worth I feel that it should be higher, but sometimes I need to remind myself that in four years I've been able to increase my net worth by $63,000!!!

Sometimes you need to look at numbers in a different light to appreciate a significant change  :)

 
(source)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats! That's incredible progress! It must feel great to see all your hard work pay off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is impressive. 60K+ in four years is no easy feat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, any tips on some particularly great debt help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a GREAT way to look at financial stuff! Sometimes I see that we still ahve this mortgage to pay off and forget how much we already have paid off! We've done amazing work, and so have you, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! And congrats on getting your dream job right out of school. Now that you are out of debt your net worth is going to skyrocket each year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. You should definitely be proud of yourself. Do you have a regular RSP account or one that's market-linked?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful reflection! This is a huge accomplishment - congrats!!

    ReplyDelete