Thursday, March 31, 2011

How I Spent my Tax Refund

This year's tax refund came in at just over $2,000.  I pooled that money along with my last rental cheque ($870) and money in my travel fund and booked one of my trips-of-a-lifetime.

Christmas will be spent this year on a safari in Kenya!  I have always dreamed of going on a safari.  Last year I debated between 1 week on a safari and 5 weeks in Asia and I chose Asia.

I booked the safari through Flight Centre. Walking past one of their storefront windows while couch shopping for the new place a poster caught my eye - 20% off adventure travel plus $100 off when booking a flight.  I promptly went home to check what the trip I'd had my eye on was going for.


Original Price


Sale Price

Flight
$1,298.79

Flight
$1,197.79
Safari
$1,999.00

Safari
$1,599.00
Insurance
$133.92

Insurance
$133.92
Airport transfer
$40.00

Airport transfer
$40.00
Extra night hotel
$115.00

Extra night hotel
$115.00
TOTAL
$3,586.71

TOTAL
$3,085.71


When I backpacked in Europe and Asia I was quite happy to travel on my own, but on a safari I was definitely looking for a tour.  I chose Gap Adventure's Kenya Wildlife Adventure.  In a safari I was looking for more game driving days than 'cultural' days.  What makes safaris so expensive are the park entrance fees while doing game drives. In this safari 3 different parks/sanctuaries are included with 6 game drive days. What makes this safari affordable is the 'roughing it' factor - i.e. camping!

I will need to save an additional $400 for souvenirs, a sleeping bag, tips, an emergency fund, and entry visa before leaving for Africa.  I am also looking to buying a used DSLR camera - I like the Canon Rebels, so I've started contributing into my camera fund.

Is it December yet?

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful adventure. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! What great memories you will have and there won't be any debt incurred by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCITING! I've always always wanted to do a safari in Kenya combined with climbing Kilimanjaro, and maybe a week lying on the beach in Zanzibar. I can't wait to hear all about the trip when you come back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooo jealous of you!! Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an amazing opportunity!

    Will you have to get vaccinations for your trip? They can cost a lot of money ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Two Degrees:
    Great point, I should have added that to the 'to buy' list. I've read on travel blogs that in Toronto the price for the full gamit of African vaccinations is between $125 and $175.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That really is a trip of a lifetime. I'm sure you will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to forewarn/forearm you, my travel clinic bill before Kenya was more like $350. The vaccinations were ~$150 (three years ago, and I had already had some of the recommended ones as I'd just gone to Cuba), but then you also need to buy malaria pills, emergency antibiotics, and a few other things. A first aid kit with basics like Polysporin is a good idea. For the visa, you will probably have to courier it to the embassy in Ottawa and provide passport photos. $$. Also don't forget mosquito repellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting! You will have to tell me all about it. I'm planning to go next year in August, but not sure if I'll be in Kenya.

    Maybe will hit up the Masamara (spelling?) and for sure climb Mt Kilimanjaro and go to Zanzibar!

    I have $1500 saved up for it already. But I think the flight there will be killer :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. @youngandthrifty:
    I know, the flights are brutal. I'm flying with Swiss Air and they were beyond the least expensive flight of all major carriers at the time I was looking. KLM seems to have a once-a-year seat sale from Toronto to Kenya....I haven't seen it yet in 2011.

    My trip includes Masai Mara, so you'll definitely read up about it post-trip on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really do know how to spend your hard-earned tax refund! The tour must’ve been very memorable! The thing here is that most people are having a hard time just to get their tax refund, and spending it on something pleasurable would just be gratifying, right? Anyway, do you have any advice in handling taxes? I think being cautious all the time would help us keep the confidentiality of our personal information.

    ReplyDelete