Monday, April 16, 2012

My Grocery Shopping Routine

Since the beginning of March I've had a new grocery shopping system in place.  My grocery list used to look like this before:
 

Now, my grocery list looks like this:

Groceries: April 30
Store
Price
Celery


Zucchini


Yogurt


Crushed Tomatoes


Pita Shells


Salad Mix


Spinach


Bananas


Apples


Frozen Fruit


Milk


Tilapia


Brussels Sprouts


Mushrooms


Baby Carrots


Hummus


Cheese Strings


Broccoli


Snow Peas or beans


Asparagus


Mushrooms


Fat Free Buttermilk


Fruit


Shredded Carrots


Eggs


Fajita Shells


Brown Sugar


Bread


1.3 lb Ground Turkey


1 Parsnip


1 Sweet Potato


2 Carrots


Unsweetened Applesauce



Before I put together my grocery list, I plan out what I'm going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evening snack for the month (crazy planner, I know!).  I'm finding that meal planning is not only great for my budget, but also for my waistline!  Instead of grabbing something quick and unhealthy when I'm hungry I am now incorporating healthy foods at all meals.

Prior to each grocery shop I look through the flyers of 5 grocery stores within a 5-10 minute drive of my house (Loblaws, FreshCo, Metro, Walmart Supercentre, and Food Basics) and write down any sale items.  I've also learned which stores are generally least expensive for the staples that appear on each grocery list -- Food Basics has the cheapest 1l skim milk $2.29!  I use Flyerland to streamline searching through each flyer. 

Here is an example of one weekly meal plan I've put together:

Weekly Meal Planner


Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Sunday
Protein Smoothie
Turkey Bacon Sandwich, Poached Eggs
Mushroom/Onion Pizza
Whole Wheat Waffles







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Monday
Buttermilk Biscuit/Fruit
Pasta Fagioli
Tilapia Salad
Baked Eggs with Spinach







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Tuesday
Cereal
Egg Salad Sandwich, Salad
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Roasted Root Vegetables







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Wednesday
Buttermilk Biscuit/Fruit
Pasta Fagioli
Meatloaf & Veggies
Whole Wheat Waffles







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Thursday
Smoothie
Egg Salad Sandwich, Salad
Mushroom/Onion Pizza
Roasted Root Vegetables







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Friday
Buttermilk Biscuit/Fruit
Pasta Fagioli
Skinny Lasagna
Baked Eggs with Spinach







Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Saturday
No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Meatloaf & Veggies
Banana Bread Protein Muffins







All of my recipes were found from my favourite healthy cooking websites: Dashing Dish, PreventionRD, The Lunchbox Diaries, Skinny Taste, etc.  Sooooo, when you see Carrot Cake Pancakes that doesn't mean it's loaded with sugar and topped with heavy maple syrup! 

Since starting tracking my eating and exercise with Lose It! I'm down in weight 3%.

Now let's talk about the money savings!  I always keep cooking staples in my pantry: flour, spices, soup, noodles, evoo, baking products, etc. so my grocery list usually comes from the"outside" aisles of the grocery store.  Here's a look at my grocery shop from this weekend:


For $62.76 I got all of the supplies I need for meals the next 10 days or so -- the photo doesn't look like I got much, but I did buy $10 worth of tilapia and 1.6lb of ground turkey.  Each paycheck (twice per month) I buy the bulk of my groceries on the first day, then replenish veggies and fruit mid-pay.  I've been budgeting $110/pay or $220/month on groceries and thus far I'm stayed on budget and have  eaten healthy meals each day!

While I love having a meal plan in place, I don't follow it 100%.  If a friend asks me to meet her for lunch or I am invited somewhere for dinner (and there's room in the budget, of course), I will ditch that planned meal of the day and save it for another week -- this might happen only once per paycheck, so I haven't had to turn down plans yet.

How do you meal plan and grocery shop?

6 comments:

  1. I just started meal planning about a month ago and have found that it has really helped cut down on my grocery budget - it was around $180-200 down from a budget of $250.

    I also have an app on my phone that allows me to input a price (and saves it for future use) so I can keep track of grocery prices for future meal plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're meal planning/grocery list is so detailed. I just started meal planning about a month ago as well. Basically, I go through our fridge/pantry to see what we have, thinks of some meals, and write down what "extras" we need for the meals. I also have a list of stuff we run out of (like milk,eggs, etc). Even though mine isn't nearly as organized as yours, I'm still saving more than when I wasn't planning at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amy - What's the app called? I'd love to add it to my collection!!

    @lil desiqua - Whatever it takes to save money on groceries is a good plan in my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an android app (they may have an iPhone version?) called "Out of Milk". I just use it for my grocery list and prices but there is also a to-do list and pantry list component.

      Delete
  4. Purchases are separated into goods and services. Then there are goods that cost more because of the additional service going towards the final product.
    Let's take a look at four grocery delivery items that would fall into this category.
    Dallas tx grocery delivery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Online shopping stores are cost efficient also as you can compare the prices of various product and buy the one that suits your budget. These stores can be approached anytime as they work 24 hours and al seven days a week.

    Dallas tx grocery delivery

    ReplyDelete