Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yet another budget re-jig

I've had to re-jig my monthly budget again.  I've been contemplating for more than a year whether or not to get a cell phone.  The One of a Kind show this weekend (I was running late, but had no way of letting my friends know) pushed me over the edge, I called Rogers and signed up for a wireless plan.

I currently have a home phone which costs each month just over $35 including taxes.  With the new discount I'm recieving with the Rogers wireless plan my phone will cost just over $55 including taxes each month.  I will be moving my home phone number over to the new phone when it arrives.

For $67/month + tax - discounts here's what I get:
- Blackberry Curve 9300 in violet ($9.99 on 3 year contract)
- 200 minutes
- unlimited social networking -- facebook, twitter, flickr
- caller ID, messaging, texting (video and photo)
- unlimited my 10 Canada-wide **most of my calls are long-distance, so this is what sold me
- unlimited evenings and weekends after 6pm
- 1GB data

To find the extra $20 (or so) per month for the new plan I'll likely take it out of my entertainment budget.  Over the weekend I'm going to investigate free financial apps out there!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new phone. I also need to say a big THANK YOU. After reading about the good deal you got compared to what I have been paying. I decided to call and see if I could get a better deal. I got more (a package much like yours) for way less. To be exact its $20.00 a month less. I am thrilled. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to hear -- I always look at that kind of savings in the big picture...on a 3-yar contract you just saved $720!

    What's the plan for the "extra" $20/month!

    ReplyDelete