Monday, January 30, 2012

So Close!

Last Sunday I began my No Spend Week and crossed my fingers that I could make it -- I tend to shop out of boredom, so come Saturday morning I was thrilled that I'd made it 6 entire days of not spending a penny.

Saturday afternoon I went with a colleague to see The Descendants (we both really liked it) and even brought my own snacks, apple slices, to fend off the temptation of buying treats.  I had enough Scene points for a free movie, so there was no cost involved.

Then, I decided that I'd check out Home Sense for a white ceramic vase to replace the one I'd shattered during the move.  I had a gift card with what I thought was about $48 on it.  Turns out, there wasn't $48, instead there was about $10 left -- I can't for the life of me remember what I'd bought using the card between Christmas and this weekend, but I'm sure I did.  So, when the cashier let me know that I still owed about $20 I debated cancelling the order and having her refund the $10 back on the gift card, or paying the $20, knowing that I didn't make it through the entire 7 days.

I paid the $20.  I'd have gone back to the store the next day to get the replacement vase anyways, and I was already happy with my 6 entire days....lesson learned: check the balance of your gift card before assuming what's left on it!

Tomorrow I'll post about my financial challenge for February!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Same thing happened to me except in reverse. I thought that I would have to pay extra but it turns out I didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 days no shopping is awesome! I always get thwarted in my no-spend efforts. I found the first bit of January was good but the past two weeks have been spendy spendy..

    ReplyDelete