Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Scary Canadian Stats

According to the National Post, between 2000 and 2009 property taxes in Canada increased by 50%.

On top of that, Canadian households now have a debt-to-income ratio of 148% in the third quarter, new Statistics Canada data show.

If that wasn't enough, Canadian household debt has risen 6.7% and our disposable income has dropped 1.5% during the third quarter of this year (Globe and Mail, Dec. 14, 2010)

As a single-income household I know that in order to fall into the debt trap I need to work to avoid paying interest to my credit card, taking out a loan to pay for a vehicle, and falling behind in my long-term savings.  The burden is on me to make more money if I'd like to go on vacation. Despite complaining in the cold weather, I know that I need to contibue taking public transit to grocery shop or volunteer because my savings would take a hit if I were to purchase a car.  To stretch my weekly jar money even further I know that I need to shop at a lower priced grocery store and market in the summer to keep my food costs low.  I also know that I don't need a fancy umbrella, that my $12 one will work just fine.



What strategies do you use to avoid going into debt? 

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/Analysis+Canadian+debt+rates+continue+mount/3971673/story.html#ixzz185kCY71P

No comments:

Post a Comment