Monday, November 22, 2010

Splurging Once in Awhile

This weekend was my biggest spending weekend in a long while.  And by spending I mean approximately $60.

A high school girlfriend came to stay with me for the weekend, and we had a few activities planned.  Here's how it worked out:
Saturday:
Ontario Science Centre = Free.  It was teacher and family day, so my friend used her teacher card to get us in. Would have cost $20+ in admission just for myself.
Sushi on Bloor = $17. A pricey lunch, but I wanted to fill up before the evening.
Food & Wine Show = $40. I purchased $20 in drink and food tickets. $20 was spent on my Mom's stocking gifts; a bottle of avocado oil, a bag of fancy chocolates with toffee and crushed roasted almonds.
Starbucks = $3. I took advantage of the 2-for-1 deal that took place these past 4 days

I made a plan to save for this weekend, knowing I'd spend more than what I'd alloted in my entertainment budget for the two week period, and it was well worth it.  No regrets from me.  Now the next event I'm saving for is being home over the Christmas break.  Knowing that friends will want to go for coffees/movies/dinners that I wouldn't normally do every week will need some planning.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend!! I was at the Wine and Food Expo as well. What did you think of it? I thought it was okay but was a little turned off by the huge line (2 hours and we bought tickets ahead of time) and the enormous amount of people inside! The items we got were good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this year better than the previous couple. It was great to see so many 1 and 2 ticket wines; a few years ago it was pretty much 3+.

    I agree, the lineups were long. We arrived around 5pm and waited 30 minutes - I would have been upset with 2 hours!

    We did one of the cheese tastings, it was a lot of fun and something I'd love to do at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal this week is sushi if I am still hungry by Friday.

    I have 5 great meals for lunch, some extras in the fridge for dinner, but I have such a craving for sushi and vietnamese spring rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I love sushi. We've talked about learning to make it at home, just cuz we love it so much and would eat it weekly if we could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough staying in the black as the holiday season approaches! Good luck on goals - from another 20-something paying off debt in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete